Wednesday 18 April 2012

'why I would never ski..'

A friend recently once asked me why I would never go skiing. And I said it had never appealed to me for several reasons: 1. most people come back with a broken something, 2. it is cold, and 3. I can't get my head around attaching yourself to some sticks and hurling yourself down a mountain. She then responded with 'yes, but don't you want the adrenaline?' No. I bloody don't need adrenaline darling. A butchery is a dangerous environment. Band saws, hand saws, mincers, grinders, cleavers, knives, knives and more knives. Ironically enough I tend to insure myself on wet floors and bones and lugging ribs and loins around more than anything else. 

And of course there is the thrill of talking to customers and making a sale. As I am still so new to this game I still get a rush of adrenaline when I do something right. When I cut a chop accurately or a steak to exactly 200g. When I get every scrap of meat off the bone. Ridiculous. But it's the little things that make this job worth while. 

And of course there is the natural nerves and excitement that come with starting a new job. Loved every butcher I have worked with so far - and very happy to start working with the talented high class butchers at Lidgate's in Holland Park. 

But I think when I do holiday it will be sun, sea and sand for me.

gb

No comments:

Post a Comment