Sunday 4 December 2011

'what? turkey again?'

So it has arrived. Christmas. Or to put it in another word: Turkey time. There are turkeys everywhere. And why? Turkey is I have to say my least favourite meat. This is the only acceptable time for turkey in my eyes. As it can be dry and go on forever, like the Sahara desert.

However, I was recently shown by Butcher Mick how to bone a turkey leg and make a mini turkey joint (ideal for 2 depending on the size of the turkey) And my hope in turkey was restored! It was moist and juicy and pure meat. When stuffed: exceptional. The flavour was fantastic. However of course you should also consider other options for Christmas the traditional goose, duck or game perhaps? Or all stuffed together?

I admit I get a slight thrill when someone comes into the shop and says 'Sod it, this year we're having beef'. It appears rebellious to me as my mother is such a staunch turkey traditionalist when it comes to the festive period.

But I say this year: eat your favourite meat, no matter what it is! But please consider your butcher MAKE YOUR TURKEY ORDER ASAP. Don't leave it until the last minute. Yes, okay butcher's can be miracle workers and produce a turkey from thin air. But give us a chance!

Merry Christmas.

gb

No comments:

Post a Comment